Housing Resources

Various housing options are available for seniors in Philadelphia. There are also programs to assist with repairs, utilities and financial and legal issues.


If you need help with basic activities of daily living, but want to remain in your own home, you may also want to consider long-term care services in the home.

Repairs, Modifications, Maintenance

There are 206,000 older (age 60+) persons in Philadelphia who own their homes. Many of these homes were built more than 50 years ago and are in need of both minor and major repairs. Many are also inaccessible for those with limited or impaired mobility. PCA repairs and modifies homes for qualified people 60 and older, or with disabilities. Our expert work is fully guaranteed.

PCA brings expertise, experience and value to our housing services, which include:

  • Comprehensive evaluation of home to determine needs
  • Pre- and post-project inspections
  • Extensive knowledge of and experience with housing repairs, modifications and adaptations
  • Warrantied work that meets or exceeds city building codes
  • A caring, culturally sensitive staff who provide excellent customer service

PCA knows that having a safe, secure and comfortable environment is critical to aging  at home. With over 30 years’ experience, PCA’s home repair and modification program offers value-based pricing for services including:


  • Installing grab bars and hand-held showers
  • Adapting bathroom fixtures
  • Installing hand railings and intercoms
  • Repairing, installing or widening exterior doors
  • Installing dead-bolt locks
  • Repairing leaky faucets and toilets
  • Installing smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms


  • Building first-floor full or half-bathrooms
  • Installing interior and exterior stair glides
  • Installing exterior wheelchair lifts

For more information, call the PCA Helpline at 215-765-9040.

Housing Options

Independent Living

Low-income seniors who wish to live independently in the community may be eligible for public or subsidized housing. Some of these also include accessible housing. Waiting lists may be several years long. Detailed information is available on the Philadelphia Housing Authority website.

To apply for Public Housing or the Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly, Section 8) contact:

Philadelphia Housing Authority Office
718 N. 16th Street
Hours: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday

LGBT-Friendly Housing

LGBT seniors cite affordable, safe, welcoming and friendly housing as a primary concern as they age.  The LGBT Elder Initiative (LGBTEI) has compiled a resource directory that includes a range of housing options, from rentals, condominiums and subsidized housing to assisted living and nursing homes. The LGBTEI Senior Resource Guide has a section on housing that was developed to help seniors and their friends and families identify housing that meets their needs.

Assisted Living and Continuing Care

Assisted Living facilities are for older adults who cannot live independently but do not require nursing home care. These facilities may help with medications, personal care, housekeeping and meals. Many have nurses on-site or on call. Some may be part of a Continuing Care Community that offers a range of options, from independent living through nursing care. Services and fees vary widely, so it is imperative to look carefully at the individual facility’s contract.

Domiciliary Care

Philadelphia Corporation for Aging’s Domiciliary Care (Dom Care) program matches certified care providers with adults 18 years and older in need of a caring supportive home. Those eligible for this service are unable to live independently in the community due to physical emotional or mental impairments, but do not need special around-the-clock attention. Providers are people in the community who want to open their homes and provide care for up to three consumers.

The social workers match consumers and home providers according to the individual preferences of both, and continue to work closely with providers and consumers to insure that the match remains mutually beneficial.

Dom Care providers offer the following services to consumers: room and board, housekeeping, laundry, assistance with personal hygiene and budgeting, supervision of medication administration and assistance with medical appointments. In certain cases, consumers who are eligible for nursing home level of care can live in Dom Care.

For more information, call the PCA Helpline at 215-765-9040.

Nursing Homes

These residential facilities, licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Health, serve people who require 24-hour, skilled nursing care but who do not need the high-tech resources of a hospital. An assessment is required to be admitted to a nursing home.

Listings of homes in the Philadelphia area can be found here >>

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services provides an online tool to help choose and evaluate nursing homes.

Nursing Home Transition

PCA’s Nursing Home Transition Program assists nursing home residents age 60 and older to return to community living. NHT may help find housing; modify an existing home to make it accessible; help access needed medical, adult day care or home-based services and provide training for independent living. For more information call the PCA Helpline at 215-765-9040.

Personal Care Boarding Homes

Personal care boarding homes are generally smaller than assisted living facilities but provide similar services such as meals, housekeeping and activities such as bathing and dressing.

The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services maintains an online directory of state-licensed personal care homes.

The site also provides links to violations reports and detailed information about each facility.

Housing Counselors

Housing counselors funded by the Office of Housing and Community Development are located at the three senior centers listed below. These counselors can provide assistance on foreclosures as well as other housing inquiries.

Philadelphia Senior Center

509 South Broad Street, 19147

(215) 546-5879

Center in the Park

5818 Germantown Avenue, 19144

(215) 848-7722 ext. 219

The Center at Journey’s Way

403 Rector Street, 19128

215-487-1750, option 8


Financial and legal issues

There are other organizations and programs that can help both homeowners and renters with financial and legal issues:

Office Homeless Services

Financial Empowerment Centers

Philly Tenant Resource Guide May 2018

SeniorLAW Phila Resource Directory


Milestones eNews

For seniors and those who care for them

PCA News Bulletin

For professionals in the field of aging