Aging Research & Issues: October 16-20, 2017
- Projections of white and black older adults without living kin in the United States, 2015 to 2060. Ashton M. Verderya, and Rachel Margolis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America(PNAS). Published online October 2, 2017.
- The Promotion of Well-Being in Aging Individuals Living in Nursing Homes: A
Controlled Pilot Intervention with Narrative Strategies. Giulia Cesetti, PsyD,
Francesca Vescovelli, PsyD & Chiara Ruini, PhD. Clinical Gerontologist, Volume 40, 2017 – Issue 5, Pages 380-391. Published online: February 8, 2017.
Free access. Nursing home patients assigned to the narrative intervention reported significantly increased well-being and sleep quality.
Aging Research & Issues: October 10-13, 2017
- Enjoying the third age! Discourse, identity and liminality in extra-care communities. Karen West, Rachel Shaw , Barbara Hagger and Carol Holland. Ageing and Society, Volume 37, Issue 9, October 2017 , pp. 1874-1897. Open access. Published online: July 13, 2016.
- Hiding in Plain Sight: Social and Demographic Trends That Will Exacerbate the Impact of Alzheimer’s. A Nationwide Commitment to a Cure Can Help Avert Coming Crises. Nicholas Eberstadt, Ph.D. Commissioned by UsAgainstAlzheimer’s. (October 2017, .pdf format, 20p.). Shows that the U.S. has vastly underestimated the public costs and consequences of the Alzheimer’s epidemic. A disturbing number of major social trends in America have direct and adverse implications for our capacity to cope with the Alzheimer’s epidemic in the years ahead .
Aging Research & Issues: October 2-6, 2017
- Old age expectations are related to how long people want to live. Catherine E. Bowen and Vegard Skirbekk. Aging and Society, Volume 37, Issue 9 October 2017 , pp. 1898-1923. Open Access. Published online: July 15, 2016.
- Gender inequality in self-reported health among the elderly in contemporary welfare countries: A cross-country analysis of time use activities, socioeconomic positions and family characteristics. Adjei NK, Brand T, Zeeb H. PLoS ONE (2017) , 12(9): e0184676. 6
Campira class helps mind, body
By Linda L. Riley
Carmen Perez has short-cropped white hair, and she had a big smile for everyone when she arrived at Norris Square Senior Community Center on a recent Monday morning wearing a red shirt with “CAMPIRA: Camina Y Respira” on the back. True to her shirt, she was there for the campira class, which she said she likes “because it makes me stronger in the morning.”
Aging Research & Issues: September 25-29, 2017
- Housing Governance and Senses of Home in Older Age: The Provider Scale. Emma R. Power. Journal of Housing For the Elderly, Volume 31, 2017 – Issue 3, Pages 193-212. Published online: September 15, 2017
- The relations between sleep, time of physical activity, and time outdoors among adult women. Kate Murray, Suneeta Godbole, Loki Natarajan, Kelsie Full, J. Aaron Hipp, Karen Glanz, Jonathan Mitchell, Francine Laden, Peter James, Mirja Quante, Jacqueline Kerr (2017). PLOS ONE 12(9). Published September 6, 2017.
Aging Research & Issues: September 18-22, 2017
- Resilience in context: the special case of advanced age. Karen J. Hayman, Ngaire Kerse & Nathan S. Consedine. Aging & Mental Health, Volume 21, 2017 – Issue 6, Pages 577-585. Published online: June 22, 2016.
- U. S. GAO: MEDICAID MANAGED CARE: CMS Should Improve Oversight of Access and Quality in States’ Long-Term Services and Supports Programs. GAO-17-632: Published: August 14, 2017. Publicly Released: September 13, 2017. Access to full report and highlights.
Aging Research & Issues: September 11-15, 2017
- Precipitation and Physical Activity in Older Adults: The Moderating Role of Functional Mobility and Physical Activity Intentions. Christiane A Hoppmann, Jessica Chak Man Lee, Jochen P Ziegelmann, Peter Graf, Karim M Khan, Maureen C Ashe. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Volume 72, Issue 5, September 1, 2017, Pages 792–800. Published online: December 26, 2015.
- Space, the final frontier: outdoor access for people living with dementia. Elaine Argyle, Tom Dening & Peter Bartlett. Aging & Mental Health, Volume 21, 2017 – Issue 10, Pages 1005-1006. Published online: October 19, 2016.
Aging News & Research: September 5-8, 2017
- Technology Access and Use, and Their Associations With Social Engagement Among Older Adults: Do Women and Men Differ? Jeehoon Kim, Hee Yun Lee, M Candace Christensen, Joseph R Merighi. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Volume 72, Issue 5, September 1, 2017, Pages 836–845. Published online: October 9, 2016.
- To stay or to go? Postretirement housing choices of single Baby Boomer women. Foula Z. Kopanidis, Linda J. Robinson & Mike Reid. Journal of Women & Aging, Volume 29, 2017 – Issue 5, Pages 417-427. Published online: September 14, 2016.
Aging Research & Issues: August 28 – September 1, 2017
- The Association Between Anxiety and Falls: A Meta-Analysis. David John Hallford, Geoff Nicholson, Kerrie Sanders, Marita P McCabe. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Volume 72, Issue 5, September 1, 2017, Pages 729–741. Published online January 20, 2016.
- Home Modifications among Community-Dwelling Older Adults: A Closer Look at Race and Ethnicity. Louanne Bakk, Tamara Cadet , Laura Lien & Angela Smalley. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, Volume 60, 2017 – Issue 5, Pages 377-394 . Published online: June 28, 2017.