Aging Research & Issues: Nov. 6-10, 2017
- Preferences and Predictors of Aging in Place: Longitudinal Evidence from Melbourne, Australia. Hal Kendig, Cathy Honge Gong, Lisa Cannon & Colette Browning. Journal of Housing For the Elderly, Volume 31, 2017 – Issue 3, Pages 259-271. Published online: March 2, 2017. Home ownership, socioeconomic resources, neighborhood satisfaction, and home modifications were positively associated with aging in place.
- Serving Individuals with Dementia Who Live Alone. Elizabeth Gould, Molly Knowles, Michael Lepore, and Katie Maslow. Generations, Fall 2017 supplement, Pages 83 – 90.
Aging Research & Issues: Oct. 30-Nov. 3, 2017
- When Did Old Age Stop Being Depressing? Depression Trajectories of Older Americans and Britons 2002–2012. Gindo Tampubolon, M.S., Ph.D., Asri Maharani, M.D., Ph.D. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, November 2017, Volume 25, Issue 11, Pages 1187–1195. Open access. The trajectories of depression of older cohorts, particularly those of the prewar cohorts in both countries and the war cohort in England, followed a U-shape. Conversely, the trajectories of depression of the younger cohort, particularly those of the postwar cohorts in both countries and the war cohort in the United States, took an inverted U-shape.
- Evacuating People and Their Pets: Older Floridians’ Need for and Proximity to Pet-Friendly Shelters. Rachel Douglas MS PhD, Ayberk Kocatepe PhD, Anne E Barrett PhD, Eren Erman Ozguven PhD, Clayton Gumber, MS, PhD. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B, gbx119. Advance article. Published: October 4, 2017. High pet shelter need coupled with low availability exacerbates older adults’ heightened vulnerability during Florida’s hurricane season.
Aging Research & Issues: October 23-27, 2017
- Caregiver Stressors and Depressive Symptoms among Older Husbands and Wives in the United States. Min Hee Kim, Ruth E. Dunkle, Amanda J. Lehning, Huei-Wern Shen, Sheila Feld & Angela K. Perone. Journal of Women & Aging, Volume 29, 2017 – Issue 6, Pages 494-504. Published online: September 27, 2016. To illuminate strategies for reducing the higher distress experienced by wife caregivers engaged in personal care assistance, further studies are needed incorporating couples’ relational dynamics and gendered experiences in personal care.
- Prevention of Alzheimer’s Disease: Lessons Learned and Applied. James E. Galvin MD, MPH. Special Article – Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, Volume 65, Issue 10, October 2017, Pages 2128–2133. First published: August 2, 2017. Dementia may be a disorder that develops over a lifetime, with individualized ways to build a better brain as we age.
Manage medications effectively
By Sally Friedman
According to national estimates, more than 25,000 people die each year from a failure to take medications properly. With today’s many choices of prescription and over-the-counter medicines, sometimes carelessly dispensed and used, knowing how to manage medications may save your life.
October is National Residents’ Rights Month
October is national Residents’ Rights Month. It focuses on the rights and quality of residents in lifelong-term care facilities – nursing facilities, assisted living, personal care homes, domiciliary care facilities, and those who attend older adult daily living centers. The theme for this year’s Residents’ Rights Month, “It’s all about me: My life, my care, my choices,” focuses on the respect and dignity of every resident. In Philadelphia, advocating for residents’ rights goes on year-round through the Ombudsmen program managed by Philadelphia Corporation for Aging (PCA).
Aging Research & Issues: October 2-6, 2017
- Old age expectations are related to how long people want to live. Catherine E. Bowen and Vegard Skirbekk. Aging and Society, Volume 37, Issue 9 October 2017 , pp. 1898-1923. Open Access. Published online: July 15, 2016.
- Gender inequality in self-reported health among the elderly in contemporary welfare countries: A cross-country analysis of time use activities, socioeconomic positions and family characteristics. Adjei NK, Brand T, Zeeb H. PLoS ONE (2017) , 12(9): e0184676. 6