PCA seeks volunteer coaches for A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns About Falls program
About 36 million falls are reported by older adults each year. Chances are, you know someone who has fallen or is afraid of falling.
Philadelphia Corporation of Aging is looking for bi-lingual volunteer coaches to be trained in their proven “Matter of Balance” program. You can become a volunteer coach!
A Matter of Balance is a proven program designed to help people manage concerns about falls and increase physical activity.
Participants learn to:
• view falls as controllable
• set goals for increasing activity
• make changes to reduce fall risks at home
• exercise to increase strength and balance
After a zero session, classes are held either once a week for 8 weeks or twice a week for 4 weeks for 2 hours each.
Coaches help participants become more confident about managing falls, help to identify ways to reduce falls, and lead exercises to help increase strength and balance.
What do you need to be a coach?
• good communication and interpersonal skills
• enthusiasm, dependability and a willingness to lead small groups of older adults
• ability to lead low to moderate level exercise
• reliable internet connection and device to lead programs
Coach training is scheduled Tuesday, March 22 and Wednesday, March 23 from 1 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. via ZOOM.
For more information about coach training, call 215-765-9000, ext. 5123 or email Stephen.Merrill@pcaCares.org.