Housing Options

Maintaining or finding a home can be very challenging, particularly for low-income seniors.

PCA has compiled a short reference guide that provides contact information for help with a variety of issues, including home repairs and modifications, code violations, mortgages, property taxes, renters' assistance, utility assistance, among others.

Click here to download a copy of the Quick Reference Guide to Housing Resources for the Elderly in Philadelphia.

Low-income seniors who wish to live independently in the community may be eligible for subsidized housing.
There are also options available for older adults who want to remain in the community, but are not able to maintain their own homes, and/or care for themselves. 

Subsidized & Public Housing
Older adults encounter great challenges finding affordable, decent and accessible housing. Waiting lists for subsidized housing are often several years long.
Subsidized housing programs have age and income eligibility requirements. Minimum age is typically 62 or Age 18 for disabled adults. 
How to Apply: 

Public Housing: 
Philadelphia Housing Authority Office 
718 N. 16th Street
between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, 
call 215-684-4453 
Housing Choice Voucher Program 
(formerly, Section 8): 
Call: The Philadelphia Housing Authority Office 
Ask if the waiting list is currently open 
Subsidized Housing
Philadelphia Corporation for Aging has a list of subsidized buildings that provide housing for older adults. 

Click here for a listing of subsidized housing resources 

You may also refine your search by using this link to search by zip code or location

General Housing Resources
PCA's online Resource Directory lists many programs and services available to provide utilities assistance, home repair or modification programs, loan programs for home repairs or modifications, reverse mortgage loans, fair housing commission, HUD, emergency mortgage assistance, and more. 

Click here to search by category for  more resources

Assisted Living 
Assisted living communities are designed for older adults who cannot live independently but do not require nursing home care. These facilities may help residents to take their medications properly, offer assistance with personal care and housekeeping and serve meals in a community dining room. Many have professional nurses on-site or on call if a resident requires special care. Assisted living centers may be stand-alone; exist as part of a continuing care retirement community where other older adults live independently; or may be a part of nursing home or senior housing complex. Not all assisted living facilities provide the same services, so it is imperative to look carefully at the individual facility’s contract.

Click here for  a list of Assisted Living facilities

Domiciliary Care (Dom Care)
Click here to see a short video.

“Domiciliary” comes from the word “domicile” or home, and is used to describe care provided in the home. Our Dom Care program matches adults who cannot live alone with individuals or families who are willing to open their homes to them. Dom Care providers offer a warm and encouraging family environment, and assist residents with their daily needs, including food, laundry, personal hygiene and medication administration.

Consumers benefit by becoming a part of a family and receiving individualized attention far more personalized than one might receive in a personal care home or long term care facility. Placements continue for as long as providers and consumers are satisfied with the living arrangement. This highly successful program is one PCA’s oldest and includes participants who have been together for more than 20 years. 

Learn more 

Nursing Home Transition (NHT)
PCA’s Nursing Home Transition Program assists nursing home residents age 60 and older to return to community living. NHT may help appropriate candidates to find housing, modify an existing home to make it accessible, access needed medical, adult day care or home-based services and provide training for independent living.

For more information call:
PCA Helpline, 215-765-9040

Younger nursing home residents, ages 18 - 59 who wish to return to community living may call:
Liberty Resources, 215-634-2000

Nursing Homes
Nursing homes are residential facilities licensed by the Department of Health for people with disabilities and/or older adults who require 24-hour, skilled nursing care but who do not need the high-tech resources of a hospital. An assessment is required to be admitted to a nursing home.

A nursing home finder and comparison tool is available online through the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid:
Click here to go to the CMS website for resources evaluating and choosing a nursing home

Click here for a list of Nursing Homes
  (this links to a database within pcaCares.org of local nursing homes)

Personal Care Boarding Homes 
Personal care boarding homes are generally smaller than assisted living facilities but provide similar services such as meals, housekeeping and personal care activities such as bathing and dressing.  

The Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare maintains an online directory of of state-licensed personal care homes. Using this directory, you can search for Personal Care Homes by Region, County, Zip Code, or Facility Name. The site also provides links to violations reports and detailed information about each facility. 

DPW Personal Care Homes Directory

Continuing Care Retirement Communities

Residents of Continuing Care Retirement Communities (also called Life Care Communities) enter into a contract through which their housing, health care and meals are provided for the remainder of the individual’s life. Other services, such as recreation facilities and transportation, may also be provided. Typically, the resident pays an initial entrance fee and also makes monthly payments. The facilities may require potential residents to meet certain age, health and financial requirements.
Click here for listings of Continuing Care Retirement Communities

Elder Cottage Housing Opportunity (Granny Flats)
These are self-contained units which families or friends set up to be occupied by an older adult relative or friend on the same property, adjacent to, or attached to a single family home. Sometimes these are converted garages or other sections of a home, or removable units. The unit usually has a private entrance, kitchen and bath. Anyone considering creating this kind of housing must first contact the municipality where they live, because most towns have zoning regulations which determine how, where, and whether these living arrangements are permitted.