History & Basic Facts
PCA is part of a national network of agencies established by the federal Older Americans Act of 1965. The origins of the act can be traced back to a 1961 White House Conference on Aging where President Kennedy said: “It is not enough for a great nation to have added new years to life. Our objective must be to add new life to those years.”
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania designated PCA as the Area Agency on Aging (AAA) for Philadelphia in 1973. Today, PCA is the largest of the 52 AAAs in Pennsylvania and the fourth largest in the United States.
Guided by our Board of Directors and an Advisory Council, in Fiscal Year 2010, (July 1, 2009 - June 30, 2010) PCA employed close to 700 people and contracted with more than 180 service providers, contractors and vendors to deliver social support and health services to more than 100,000 consumers.
- PCA funds 23 multi-purpose senior community centers and 11 satellite meal programs throughout Philadelphia which are utilized by some 24,000 seniors. Last year, more than 516,400 meals were served.
- Approximately 95,000 callers receive information and referral through the PCA Helpline each year
- PCA performs more than 20,000 assessments annually for individuals in need of care at home
- PCA funds the provision of home care to more than 13,000 consumers each year. These services help many to remain in the community.
- More than 2,800 seniors receive legal services annually from organizations funded by PCA.
- Employment and volunteer programs funded by PCA serve more than 1,500 people annually.
A private, non-profit organization, PCA is funded in part by the federal Older Americans Act, Medical Assistance and the Pennsylvania Lottery, all channeled through the Pennsylvania Department of Aging.
To review financial records, click on the link below.
(PDF) Audited Financial Statements for the Fiscal Year ending June 30, 2010 (Long Version)
(PDF) Audited Financial Statements for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 2010 (Short Version)
Philadelphia Corporation for Aging’s 990 is available upon request by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-765-9000 x5601.
The FY2011 State of the Agency report
Learn more about PCA
(page updated (07/11)